(All original content on this site is licensed under the Creative Commons License Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0.)

Enabling ADB on a Lenovo A7600-F TAB A10

As of this post, Lenovo does not have an ADB Interface Driver for their Lenovo A7600-F TAB A10. However, since I'd like to develop on it, I had to find a solution.

An initial forum post pointed me to the older ADB Interface Driver for their ThinkPad Tablet. However, trying to update the android_winusb.inf with the necessary information was throwing a signature error when I tried to install it on Windows 8.1.

Luckily StackOverflow had an answer to the question "Google Android USB Driver and ADB" that stepped through how to make this work.

The specific steps I followed for the Lenovo A7600-F TAB A10 were:

  1. Downloaded the ThinkPad Tablet ADB Interface Driver.
  2. Extract the contents of the zip to a new directory.
  3. Update the android_winusb.inf file with the code below, which is also available as a Gist. This was added above the ;NVIDIA Tegra line.
  4. This may not be necessary, but I also updated the file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf with the same code. I added it above the ;Project Tango (generic) line.
  5. Run cmd and then use shutdown -o -r -t 0 to reboot. I unfortunately didn't keep track of the exact steps, but it's close to what the SO answer had, so something like "Click ‘Troubleshoot’. Click ‘Advanced Options’ Click ‘Windows Startup Settings’ Click Restart."
  6. When you have the option, "Disable driver signature enforcement," which I believe was option 7 in the menu.
  7. Once you've logged back into your machine you should be able to go into Device Manager, find the Lenovo tablet, and choose to update the device drivers. Point to the extracted zip directory. You might get a security warning, but you'll be able to install it.
  8. Run cmd and navigate over to where adb is installed. In my particular case I'm using Android Studio, and upgraded to 0.8.14, so mine is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\sdk\platform-tools.
  9. Restart ADB and then check the devices. This is done by running adb kill-server and adb start-server to restart ADB, and then adb devices to get a device listing.
  10. I found that I had to unplug the USB cable from my computer first. You'll also have to accept the connection from the tablet.
  11. Checking Device Manager should display "Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet ADB Interface" under Android Phone, and "A7600-F" under Portable Devices. You should also be able to run Android applications on the Lenovo A7600-F.

(All original content on this site is licensed under the Creative Commons License Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0.)

Review: Cash N Guns Second Edition

The following is a review of Cash N Guns Second Edition, received as part of the Amazon Vine program.

Fun with a good group

When initially reading over the instructions for Cash N Guns I wasn't sure how it would actually play. The idea of robbers trying to split the loot from a heist is pretty easy to understand, but would it play out fairly?

Having now played the game in a group of five I think it went fairly well. With the exception of one person (who had played before and knew the rules), everyone else had either known each other for a few months, or in the case of two people, for quite a while. While those two did end up going back and forth, it ultimately didn't have much of an impact upon the group as a whole.

I was going to bring this to my normal group, but one individual has an issue with the inclusion of the foam guns, and would have skipped out had we played. Something to keep in mind depending upon the group, as the game does involve pointing a foam gun at another player, and either shooting them, or not.

Speaking of the set's pieces, I found them to be of a very high quality, and they seem they'll hold up against abuse as any other game would. However, I did find that the drawings at the bottom of the box, while nice, kept throwing me off; I kept expecting them to be pieces of the game, and not part of the box.

Ultimately I give Cash N Guns 4 stars of 5. The game is simple enough to play in about 30 minutes, but the number of required players (to make it fair and fun) and the fact that my group can't play it because of the guns/shooting is unfortunate.

Tags: board game, gaming, review

Categories: gaming, review

(All original content on this site is licensed under the Creative Commons License Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0.)

Review: Gray Matter (2010)

The following is a review of Gray Matter (2010), available for the PC on Steam and on Amazon.com.

An enjoyable story, with minor puzzles

I find point and click adventures to be generally enjoyable, but the older I get the more interest I have in the story they tell than the puzzles.

So when I finally started playing Gray Matter, which I received for very cheap as part of a bundle, my main focus was on the story. Having now put almost 12 hours into it (having let the game run a bit, it was probably closer to 11), I have to say I ultimately enjoyed the game, and might seek out more of Jane Jensen's works (a writer on the game).

The game follows Sam/Samantha as she interacts with David and the other characters we meet. As she is a magician, the puzzles mostly involve her performing tricks or solving puzzles as she gets closer to her goal of becoming a master magician. However, the focus of the game is not on the tricks, but rather the story.

There are some interesting twists as the story progresses, and it had me shivering in a few spots. I definitely recommend this game if you're looking for an interesting story, and have at least a passing enjoyment of point and click adventures.

Gray Matter gets 4 of 5 stars, only because of very slight control issues in a handful of scenes.

Tags: gaming, review

Categories: gaming, review

Newer posts | Older posts